Hey! I'm Kat
I'm a multidisciplinary designer who uses pens, pixels, and planning to support people who are passionate about turning their big ideas into reality.
My work blends backgrounds in illustration, UX design, engineering (yeah, this dork has an engineering degree!), and marketing. I love working with people who want designs that are as impactful as they are good-looking. Because design isn’t just pretty - it needs to solve a problem.
I'm also a digital nomad, minimalist, and paper notebook dork who loves dancing, bikes, board games, and tea. (So much tea.)
engineer / product designer / marketer
I've always been half type-A geek, half rebel art kid. When deciding between art school and using my mad math/science skills, I decided to major in engineering. Because innovation & creative problem solving seemed like an awesome blend of left & right brain.
I studied mechanical engineering at Cornell with a focus on product design. I also did a masters' thesis is in systems engineering as an undergrad. So I got the skills, but skipped the grad degree (and the loans!). While studying engineering, I worked as a gallery intern doing graphic design and illustration.
After college, I worked in product design, graphic design, and social media marketing before I finally felt I had enough to experience to start my own business. I did product design at a startup in India. I worked as a graphic designer for an education nonprofit, a family-owned shop, and as a freelancer. And I worked for 3 years as a social media marketing manager – with a dash of UX design + business development – at a big tech corporation in Portland (with a manager in San Francisco, yay remote teams!).
While I've had many roles, the constant has always been balancing analytical and creative.
Happily, it all blends together. Today, my focus is on digital communication and systems-level problem solving. One of my favorite parts of being independent is being able to bring out my "engineering hat" or "UX/product designer hat" as I work on different projects.
this is how I do
Tea, cats, travel, and tech.
just for fun
- I love making lists. (Heyyy! See what I did there?)
- My favorite drink is a mix of assam tea + lapsang suchong. Try it. It's like drinking a happy campfire.
- Part of the reason I decided to go solo is because I love me some naps. No joke. I'm a morning person and a night owl. But that afternoon slump hits me hard.
- Big dork, tiny body: I'm only 5'2."
- I'm currently based in South Korea and travel to other countries 2-4 months a year. I work as I travel (a.k.a. a "digital nomad").
- Harry Potter fangirl: I've refused to even see the trailers for the films because I don't want them to ruin my idea of the characters.
- I think bikes and motorcycles are way more fun than cars. It's all about that zippy "whoosh" feeling, am I right?
- Istanbul is my happy place. I love the architecture, ceramic art, super-strong tea, and rock music. And the juxtaposition of Roman with Ottoman, and ancient with modern.
- I have always believed that logic and creativity aren't contradictory, but complementary. Leonardo DaVinci has been a role model since I was a kid: loved that blend of artist and scientist. (Fun fact: my cat Leo is named after him!)
- I love psychology. Also: if you're a Myers-Briggs nerd, I'm ENTP... -ish. (Hardcore iNtuitive and Perceiver, but 50/50 on the other two traits.)
- I have a serious pen and notebook addiction.
- I excel at stereotypically old-lady activities: knitting, reading books, watering plants, being a cat-lady.
Sound like we'd get along?
Follow along with me, or say hello